PROVIDING GENETIC NURSING CARE TO PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC ILLNESSES
There are several chronic health problems with genetic/genomic components that plague the population. These health problems are very difficult and challenging diseases to manage. Evidenced-based nursing practice must include genetic and genomic information when planning patient care. Nurses, through their knowledge and support, play an important role in positive patient outcomes when managing the challenges of these genetically linked diseases.
For this Discussion, you will consider applications of various topics to genetics and genomics. Review the Resources focusing on the application of genetics and genomics to nursing
Choose one of the following subtopics:
· Pharmacogenomics and chronic illnesses
· Genomics in patient assessment
· Genetically competent care for those with chronic illnesses
Locate at least one scholarly journal article that discusses your subtopic.
· Coleman, B., Calzone, K. A., Jenkins, J., Paniagua, C., Rivera, R., Hong, O. S., Spruill, I., & Bonham, V. (2014). Multi-ethnic minority nurses’ knowledge and practice of genetics and genomicsLinks to an external site. . Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 46(4), 235-244. http://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12083
· Gaskin, D. J., Thorpe, R. J., McGinty, E. E., Bower, K., Rohde, C., Young, J. H., LaVeist, T. A., & Dubay, L. (2014). Disparities in diabetes: The nexus of race, poverty, and placeLinks to an external site. . American Journal of Public Health, 104(1), 2147–2155. http://doi.org/ 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301420
· Mehrian-Shai, R., & Reichardt, J. V. (2015). Genomics is changing personal healthcare and medicine: The dawn of IPH (individualized preventive healthcare)Links to an external site. . Human Genomics, 9, 29. http://doi.org/10.1186/s40246-015-0052-0
· Plavskin, A. (2016). Genetics and genomics of pathogens: Fighting infections with genome-sequencingLinks to an external site. . MEDSURG Nursing, 25(2), 91-96.
· Shaw, R. J., McDuffie, J. R., Hendrix, C. C., Edie, A., Lindsey-Davis, L., Nagi, A., Kosinski, A. S., & Williams, J. W (2014). Effects of nurse-managed protocols in the outpatient management of adults with chronic conditionsLinks to an external site. . Annals of Internal Medicine, 161(2), 113–121. http://doi.org/10.7326/M13-2567
· International Society of Nurses in GeneticsLinks to an external site. . (n.d.). http://www.isong.org/
· American Nurses Association. (n.d.). Genetics and personalized medicine Links to an external site. . http://www.nursingworld.org/genetics
Personalized prescriptions | Russ Altman | TEDxStanford – YouTube
Jennifer Doudna: How CRISPR lets us edit our DNA | TED Talk
Ruby Wax: What’s so funny about mental illness? | TED Talk
Respond to the following:
· Identify your subtopic and provide a brief summary of your journal article on how this topic relates to nursing practice.
· What is the nurse’s role in providing care in relation to your subtopic and the overarching theme of advocacy?
· What ethical implications should be considered with regard to genetics and genomics for nursing practice? Why?