**THIS DISCUSSION IS DIVIDE IN TWO PARTS –
0. MAIN DISCUSSION POST BY WEDNESDAY 01/25/2023 BEFORE 8:00 PM EST
0. TWO REPLIES BY FRIDAY 01/27/2023 BEFORE 8:00 PM EST
After assessing and diagnosing a patient, PMHNPs must take into consideration special characteristics of the patient before determining an appropriate course of treatment. For pharmacological treatments that are not FDA-approved for a particular use or population, off-label use may be considered when the potential benefits could outweigh the risks.
In this Discussion, you will investigate a specific disorder and determine potential appropriate treatments for when it occurs in an older adult or pregnant woman.
· Choose one of the two following specific populations: either pregnant women or older adults. Then, select a specific disorder from the DSM-5-TR to use.
· Research evidence-based treatments for your selected disorder in your selected population (either older adults or pregnant women). You will need to recommend one FDA-approved drug, one non-FDA-approved “off-label” drug, and one non-pharmacological intervention for treating the disorder in that population.
· Recommend one FDA-approved drug, one off-label drug, and one non-pharmacological intervention for treating your chosen disorder in older adults or pregnant women.
· Explain the risk assessment you would use to inform your treatment decision making. What are the risks and benefits of the FDA-approved medicine? What are the risks and benefits of the off-label drug?
· Explain whether clinical practice guidelines exist for this disorder, and if so, use them to justify your recommendations. If not, explain what information you would need to take into consideration.
· Support your reasoning with at least three current, credible scholarly resources, one each on the FDA-approved drug, the off-label, and a non-pharmacological intervention for the disorder.
· American Psychiatric Association. (2016). The American Psychiatric Association practice guideline on the use of antipsychotics to treat agitation or psychosis in patients with dementia Links to an external site. . https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.books.9780890426807
· Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2019). Maternal and fetal effects of mental health treatments in pregnant and breastfeeding women: A systematic review of pharmacological interventions Links to an external site. . https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/protocol-pharm-pregnant-women_0.pdf