This assessment is designed to highlight the role you play in high quality, safe patient care on a daily basis.
In an effort to continuously improve quality and safety, your manager has asked you to share one example of patient care from your experience. Your and other team members’ submissions will be used to help facilitate an upcoming training.
In a 700- to 875-word case study, address the following:
- Identify a patient care case from your own practice experience that involves quality and safety. Note: If you are not practicing or have not practiced, use a case that has received media attention or one from the textbook.
- Summarize the situation.
- Describe your (or the nurse’s) role in the patient care situation.
- Explain the role the patient played in their own quality- or safety-related situation.
- Evaluate the relationship between the patient’s care and the outcome.
- Identify how the care environment affected the situation, including the nurse or provider, the patient, and the outcome.
- Determine whether a quality model was employed. If yes, identify and explain it. If not, identify one that could have improved the situation.
- Explain what actions you might take to improve the outcome or prevent an adverse outcome in the future.